I am trying to stay really positive about the last two days and, in reality, the last two days will probably be really funny in about two days. Living them, however, has not been funny. All of this would be a little more humorous if I weren't exhausted. Abby is teething--not the "any day now and a tooth will pop out" teething, but the "my mouth really hurts and I'm drooling up a storm" teething. We probably won't see teeth for a couple more months, but her mouth is gearing up for it nonetheless. The poor girl has not slept well for the last few nights, which means I haven't either. Not a big deal, that's what I signed up for in being a mom. But when she's up every 3-4 hours crying and Roy has the stomach flu and is up and down all night, my sleep is interrupted several times an hour. At about 5 am, we were all finally in bed and it seemed like we would get several consecutive hours of sleep.
Enter squirrels. I know you're probably thinking, "Geez, what is she talking about? The lack of sleep is really affecting her mind." When you think of a squirrel, you probably think of the squirrels on Looney Tunes that frolic across the hills with smiles and look so (there's no other word for it) cute. Until last week, that's what I thought too. Then last week hit and my view is altered forever. We live on the top floor of the apartment building, but there is a space between the roof and our ceiling. Occasionally we would hear the squirrels on the roof, but it wasn't a big deal. Then last week, we heard squirrels chewing cords, skittering around, and fighting in the ceiling (notice that I said ceiling and not roof!). They had managed to chew through the metal gating covering the space between the roof and ceiling and were camped out avoiding the dreary weather in our ceiling. We had to wait a whole week for parts before maintenance could evict the squirrels and fix the metal gating, but we thought we were safe...until 7 am this morning when a squirrel decided that it was time for the Zwahlen household to be up. This particular creature is stuck in the wall that our two bedrooms share. I would feel bad for the thing because I'm pretty sure he really is stuck and not just hanging out, but it keeps waking Roy up and Abby has had extremely short crib naps today as a result. Her longest nap was 15 minutes in her stroller on our walk. Not good for an already grouchy baby. She is now sleeping in her swing in the front room, but we have had many moments of almost-asleep and dead-asleep interrupted by loud squeaks, cord chewing, and scrambling, which means I then get to deal with several minutes of screaming.
Don't worry--we called the maintenance office almost 8 hours ago and although no one has been by to help us out yet, we are top priority. :)
2 comments:
Good thing memories fade and sleep can be caught up on, maybe. . . boy, I am sorry, I can empathize! I don't know if Mere is teething, but she is a lot more tempermental than before, and while she was going 5 hr stretches she between eating she is now back to 2-4, usually 3 hour stretches, and I WANT more sleep! I like abby's byu shirt, I feel the same as you and roy abt BYU. Hang in there, I hope they get the poor squirrel out!
Did I ever tell you the story about how a possum crawled under the first floor of our house (RIGHT UNDER THE BATHROOM TUB)and spent his unfortunate last breathing moments under there? I'll spare you the details, but tell you this- if you think scratching rodents in the wall are bad, try DEAD rodents in the wall. I'll pray that your maintenance guys find him before you have to suffer such a summertime scented luxury...
Post a Comment