Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bedtime Joys

I think everyone knows that 2-year-olds can be equally as frustrating as they are fun. Abby is more fun than frustrating until the moment she is supposed to be in bed trying to go to sleep. The balance then swings way over to frustrating. The girl does not stay in bed long enough to be relaxed, let alone even think about falling asleep. We end up all being upset (amazing how 2 hours of a toddler's laughing defiance can really put a damper on your night) and then sit in the rocking chair where she falls asleep after 5 minutes. Any ideas for what we can do? I'd love to hear any and every idea!

3 comments:

Sare said...

I'm not facing that problem myself YET, but I recall that my dad would read us stories while we laid in bed until he could tell that our energy was succumbing to drowsiness. In some cases that might mean 9-10 stories, but if that's the faster alternative to 2 hours of power struggles it might be worth a shot. :)
good luck- tell me what works when you find out!

CORYNN AND JER said...

Umm... I don't know if you want to know how mean we are, but Clay is a real scaredy-cat, so we told him he couldn't get out of bed after we tucked him in and read him a story until it got light outside or the monster under his bed would get him. Awful, I know, but effective. LOL

Linda said...

It's hard, and different with each child's personality. "Becky's out of bed...now she's in" was an interesting stage. And I remember standing outside of the room, right by the door, while Cindy tried to sneak out of bed night after night. But you would stay in bed and call and ask in the morning if you could get out of bed yet. Every kid is so different! Good luck!