Sunday, June 7, 2009

Funny and Not So Funny All At the Same Time

Abby locked me in her room the other day. About a month ago, Abby locked herself in her room and it took about 10 minutes for Roy and I to get the doorknob unscrewed, ripped off the way-too-many layers of paint, and then push the lock in to actually open the door. Since the doorknob was off already, we swapped it and figured we had just saved her from locking herself in her room again. We didn't think about me. I went in to her room to grab a box, heard the door close, and the Abby started to cry. I went over to the door thinking that she was just mad that the door was closed. She's getting used to the idea of turning the handle to open the door, but our doors have so many layers of paint that they stick. I went to turn the handle and discovered it was locked. I quickly discovered that despite the amount of storage we have in Abby's room, we really don't have much that will unlock a door or unscrew a doorknob. I tried bobby pins, hair clips, pieces of the metal rod in her step-top garbage can, pieces of toy, stiff cards slid in the doorway, anything I could get my hands on. Oh yeah, and my handy cell phone wasn't in my pocket. To make matters worse, right before going into her room, I put grilled cheese sandwiches on the stove. They were more than crisp and the fire alarm was going off. The fire alarm happens to be located right outside Abby's door. So for the child who was already hysterically crying, the fire alarm was the icing on the cake. She sat down by the door and just tried to stick her fingers under so she could touch me. So sad! After evaluating whether or not I could make the 2-story jump from Abby's window to the rain-soaked grass, hoping the neighbors would hear the fire alarm and call maintainence to come resuce me, and trying to use the flimsy garbage can to break off the doorknob, I finally decided none of my ideas was going to work and just started pounding into the door with a hard piece of plastic. Luckily we have the mass-produced apartment doors and I was able to break a fist-sized hole in the door after about 5 minutes. The entire event was thirty minutes, but Abby is now more attached to Michelle and Michelle has a new fear of closing doors.

11 comments:

Sare said...

Wow. It must be written in some parenting rule book somewhere that every parent must have a locked-in/out experience with their child- sometimes more than one.
I'm glad the damage was minimal... though I'm sorry about the grilled cheese sandwiches. Dang. I hate it when that happens... :(

Becky said...

That is HILARIOUS and traumatizing all in one. Thanks for the entertainment today.

Mrs. JM said...

OH MY GOSH MICHELLE!!!! that is a crazy story. one you'll never forget (i have many of my own). thank goodness you were able to get out.

kristi said...

o my gosh. so sad!!!!!! i have screw drivers in all my rooms for that same purpose. I was locked in my downstairs bathroom but was lucky enough to just jump out the window eventhough it was snowing. crazy kids!

Belle said...

That's awful! Great story though-she'll enjoy that when she's older! I'm glad we don't have locks on our doors! Crazy your neighbors didn't hear you-I would have been so aggravated!

CORYNN AND JER said...

Good grief! I'm glad your place didn't burn down!

Jessica said...

Scary!

Wendi said...

Scary, sad, funny, all around entertaining:)

Seriously, must have been horrible. The good thing is that Abby never went to check on the grilled Cheese-Landon is obsessed with the stove when I cook...glad you got out!!

maybe you need to just take the door knob off.....

Linda said...

Yikes! What a scary experience. And Abby didn't need any excuses to be more attached to you. Perhaps a $10 investment in a non-locking doorknob would be good. Glad you finally figured a way out - hope the management isn't too mad about the busted door (if they are, TOO BAD!) Cami's locked us out a few times (and remember when she locked herself in the McO's pool house?). SCARY! Glad it all worked out, though.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Wow, that's the most amazing locked-in story I've ever heard! You're so resourceful!

Neil said...

Ah, good old The Abby. I always love a good story about The Abby.