Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Odds & Ends

A few thoughts and happenings from our lives the last week:

  • I painted my toenails dark red almost a week ago. I don't know for sure when the last time was that I painted my toenails, but I'm almost embarassed to admit that it was probably the day before we got married almost 3 years ago. Since I painted them, Roy has been psycho-analyzing me and it's hilarious. He just can't wrap his head around the idea that I just wanted to have red toenails because it's fun to have painted toenails in the summer.
  • Abby wanted to sit on the toilet this morning so we stripped her down and put her on. After a couple minutes of her talking to me and some teeth-brushing time, she peed. I was so excited! We talked about why I was so excited and she got an M&M as a prize, but she still has no clue what was going on. She's been sitting on the toilet for close to 2 months now just so she's not afraid of it when potty-training does come and though we still have a while to go before we tackle that obstacle, I will remain happy that she has gone once!
  • We met Abby's newest cousin Ethan last week. He was born the morning that Roy graduated so uncle and nephew will share a special bond. Abby really wanted to hold "thn", as she calls him, and did a great job. We watched a video clip this morning of her holding Ethan and every 2-3 sentences today we get, "Baby?" and she shrugs her shoulders as if to ask, "Where's the baby?"
  • Abby is growing up fast. Just this last week she has become obsessed with various stuffed animals and babies. She feeds, shares pacifiers with, and puts her babies in bed. Her giraffe, BYU bear, and other animals get taken on stroller rides, to the park, and cuddled when it's time to sleep. I've really seen her mothering side come out.
  • We are just a month away from Abby being able to go to nursery at church. She has no idea what is happening, but I'm scared for her because she is now incredibly clingy and needs to check in with me about every 10 seconds. She does great when she's at our house (actually, almost too well...we now have to check the garbage if she's been in the kitchen alone, look over our balcony to see which toys were launched, double-check before sitting on the toilet to make sure there aren't any special surprises, and have had to do several all-out search parties to find important items like phones, keys, make-up bags, cameras, etc), but as soon as we are in a new environment, her neediness is kicked into hyper drive. Thank goodness for library books and dads! I'm doing all the reading I can on helping her and Roy will be the one to take her to nursery and have to listen to the inevitable wailing as he leaves. Good thing Janna (the nursery leader) is our friend!

3 comments:

Svedi Pie said...

She is getting so big!! You can really tell when she's pictured next to a little newborn. I love her blond curls!! :D

Linda said...

Wow - that's great she had a success in the toilet, even if it was a fluke! And love the pictures of her with Ethan. Regarding nursery - I'd love to be a fly on the wall her first week in there!

Belle said...

Nursery is so fun, Mere loves it! I think one of the main keys is to not be worried, because if you are worried or hang around like somethings wrong the kid will sense it. Of course all kids seem to go through those anxious stages to, but remember your attitude will be reflected in hers! I'll bet she'll love it! Treats and new toys are always exciting :)