The other day, Abby and I were shopping in the baby section of Target. I was browsing the clearance rack and overheard a mom saying, "Should we get this dress as your prize?" Of course, I had to look up and see this prize-worthy dress. It was a Dora the Explorer dress. The three-year-old girl responded, "NO! I want this dress!" pointing to a different Dora dress and standing up to emphasize her point. Her mom answered by telling her she could only get one prize so she had to pick. The girl emphatically stated she wanted the second dress (which was really not cute). So her mom said, "Why don't we get BOTH dresses? What a great idea!" The girl very happily nodded her head, held both arms out to hold the dresses, and plopped back down in the shopping cart. I thought to myself, "Oh, I would never give in like that."
But I think to a certain extent, I do give in. Abby shows interest in a certain toy or book and I get so excited and then I have to decide whether or not to get it. Abby's latest interest in the book world is touch and feel books. She will touch everything except the pig's soft nose in her book. She has several touch and feel books so it's not like she's deprived. But the other day she was thrilled everytime we read. I would put out different book options and she grabbed the touch and feel book every time. The next day we all went to Target (we are frequent Target shoppers) and I found a brand new touch and feel book. We didn't end up getting it, but it's only because I'm stubbornly following our newly-imposed budget. And besides, that day, Abby could have cared less about touching anything. And that is kind of how it goes in the world of babies and parents. Parents will do anything to make their kids happy.
1 comment:
I guess just grandmas and grandpas are allowed to spoil, huh? Boy, if I'd have been at Target that day, she'd have had that touch and feel book! But I admire your resistance and strength!
Love ya,
MorMor
Post a Comment