We've been out in CA for about 8 weeks now. It's funny how quickly you get sucked in to life in the place where you live. "Sucked in" sounds wrong, but that's how it feels--all of the sudden you are around new people, doing different activities, and (in our case) enjoying not living in humidity. Yeah! I've been trying, and with some people failing, to stay up with our VA friends, even if it means reading their updated blogs. Cheating, I know, but I'm making an effort! :) It's funny because I am feeling the same way as I did when I missed a day or two of elementary school. I would be sick and Mom would make me stay home (I was a big nerd and actually loved school). When I got back and learned that life had continued on without me, I was a little perturbed that I missed out on the newer math, a couple chapters from the book we read as a class, and playing with my friends. I have echoes of those feelings now--how can life go on without me right there? I already know that going back to VA won't stop those feelings. Now I'll just feel them in relation to my friends and family here and in Utah. You just can't win!
So my cousin was married on Saturday. It was really neat to be there and see so much family. I love being around family! The worst part of the day was taking pictures in the sun next to the granite temple. It was one of those boiling Sacramento days and Abby was miserable at that point. As soon as we got her some apple juice and shade, she was much better and it really was only about 5 minutes of screaming.
In preparation for the wedding, both my brothers needed haircuts. It was about 7 pm on Friday night and they hadn't done it yet so I did it. I'm not an expert, but I've been cutting Roy's hair since we got married so I'm alright and they trusted me. I did the first brother's hair and it turned out fine. My teenage brother was next and wanted to keep his in-style, long hair. I'd been teasing him all week that he should cut it short because I thought it would look nice. He thought he would look dumb. About 3 minutes into his haircut, I realized that I had a problem. I silently got Roy's attention and he came over to inspect. Yep, my brother's hair was just going to be short. I probably cut off 2+ inches. He actually took it really well. And it looks really good! I don't know that he'll ever trust me with cutting his hair again, but my 16 year old brother looks dang good. :)
3 comments:
I'm thankful that YOU are the one who cut Steven's hair, 'cuz I would have never gotten away with it. Good thing I was at YW camp the whole week and can take no credit for the new hairstyle. You're right - it does look good. And when you said you've been here 8 weeks, it just made me realize again that there are only 2 more weeks, and then I'll be missing you all again. :( We've sure loved having you here :)
MorMor
I'm just hoping in heaven we can easily pop in and see anyone we want as quick as a flash! You still haven't told me when your leaving santa rosa!!!Saki gets nervous when I cut his hair, but it's so much easier to cut curly hair than way straight hair:)
I want to see Steven's hair!
Post a Comment