I am the room parent for Abby's class this year and got to plan the Holiday Party, which landed on the last day of school before Christmas break. It was a little stressful to come up with ideas that would be cool for 4th graders, but it turned out really fun and we ended up with several extra parents showing up to help. When I went in after the break to bring Abby's birthday treats to share with the class, I kind of felt like a rock star because I had hugs, high fives, and kids lining up to talk to me :) There's no better place to feel amazing than in a room filled with kids :)
I also have to share this funny story. Abby is doing her school play ("Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory") and tried out for a speaking part in early December. The week before the break, everyone got their part and Abby found out she is Charlie! Like the hormone-filled mom that I am, I had prayed the whole day when I knew she would get her part that she would be happy with whatever role she got, but I was nervous because she was a lead last year and I didn't want her crushed if she ended up with something less. When she got home from school and shoved the cast list in my face with her name written after Charlie Bucket, I cried and was on a bit of a high the rest of the day. Anyway, I can't tell you how many of her peers at the class party a couple days later pulled me aside and said something like, "You're Abby's mom? Did you know she's doing the play? Did you know she got a lead? Did you know she's Charlie? Did you know that she got a lead two years in a row?" I love kids!
We have this retention pond in our neighborhood that isn't very pretty, but it is fun to throw rocks, float sticks, and wander around. We took advantage of a warm December day to go play at the retention pond while Abby was at a neighbor's house playing. We're so fancy with our fun :)
Roy really needs some new jeans. I have learned that pants are not something I can buy for him without him being there, unless of course I want to go return them. So this year for Christmas, we gave Roy a pair of big-paper pants decorated by the kids. They were hilarious :)
In an effort to keep the kids busy and happy, we hosted a bunch of neighborhood kids for a morning at the beginning of Christmas break. The kids mostly played together nicely and rehearsed fairy tale plays in the backyard. I love that we still have days that are warm enough to be outside even in the winter!
No comments:
Post a Comment