Saturday, July 25, 2009

Two of Everything

I am asking for some advice from moms and caretakers of two. We're not going out today and buying stuff, but I was doing some looking online last night and there are way too many options out there for what we "need" for adding another kid to the family. Any feedback or advice would be lovely--you can even send an email if you don't want to leave a huge comment. Below are my current questions (and here's a guarantee that there will be plenty more!):

1. What are some ways to prepare child #1 for child #2? Any good book recommendations? Fun activities? What did you do that worked?

2. Abby will be just over 2 when the baby is born and we are big walkers and adventurers. So we want a double stroller. There are SO many out there. I require a big enough basket at the bottom to fit a diaper bag. Also, I want to buy only 1 stroller that will fit the baby in an infant carrier but also work for when he/she is older. Do you like the side-by-side stroller or the front-back better? What kind do you like?

3. Sharing a room or not sharing a room for the kids? How did you make sharing a room work?

Thanks in advance!

11 comments:

CORYNN AND JER said...

This is the stroller we have:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3458507

We love it - it's a great ride and has a huge basket underneath for my massive Vera Bradley diaper bag. Steers smoothly and is super easy to push.

Linda said...

When Becky was born, we got you a little dolly (which I know Abby already has and loves) with a little play diaper and a couple outfits - PJ's and clothes. I also made a little cradle (cheap style - cut out an opening in an oatmeal container and covered all w/contact paper. We finished it off with a toy baby bottle. When I changed, fed, or dressed Becky, you could do the same with your doll (in theory - you were small and needed lots of help). You had fun with your baby!

Chris said...

Jennie and I just saw these clips at Babies R' Us that clip two strollers together. Might be cheaper, but also might be tougher to handle. Just letting you know.

Mrs. JM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. JM said...

1. ~~ i think it's difficult for the first child to understand what's going on. For us, we let cayden pick out a baby doll for his new sister that he brought to the hospital to give her. He just threw it at her and didn't want anything to do with her the first week or so. He was so mean to me too, but he got over it (maybe i wasn't paying enough attention to him). I think as parents we were a lot more nervous than he was. I remember feeling guilty that he would be forced to share his mommy and daddy but he adjusted super fast and they're best buddies now (when it's convenient). We made sure to have his big boy room ready a few weeks before brooklyn was born so that all the changes weren't so sudden.

2. ~~ it's been awhile for us but we've had both the front and back stroller and the side by side. i didn't like the front and back stroller because it was hard to turn. we traded it in for a side by side running stroller which i love and still use to this day but it's awkward in size and i'm not sure if there are any available that will fit the infant car seat. i would say definitely buy something that has front swivel wheels.

3. ~~ it was really important for us to give our kids their own space when we brought a new baby to the home. all three of our kids have their own rooms but if we didn't have the space i wouldn't think it's a big deal to have them share while they're so little.

Unknown said...

1. Jane was totally excited to have a little sibling. She had seen all of her friends get little brothers or sisters, and that helped a lot. She was a little older when Mary was born, though, so I'm not sure how much Abby will get.

2. We have the Phil & Ted (front-back) stroller, and it's really good. It has great turning and is easy to push with two kids in it. Jamie bought a carabiner to attach bags to it, but it fits a fair amount of stuff. I can't imagine getting a side-by-side through doorways. Jamie did a lot of research and test-pushing, and this was what she liked the best.

3. We're definitely shared-room people. It's gone really well for the most part. Two things to think about with it--first, Mary used to wake Jane up from naps. So now at naptime (but not bedtime) we put Jane in our bed and Mary in her crib, or Mary in a pack and play in our room and Jane in her bed. Also, when Mary naps in Jane's room, Jane can't go in to play, so I have to remember to have her pull some toys out first.

And congratulations!

kristi said...

swivel wheel strollers are great definately a neccesity. i love the double jogger but i don't go shopping with it. i kinda wish my kids shared a room but i don't know if it would work and we had a fhe before ben was born and siena made a picture for him that we framed and put up in his room. there are also lots of books. just make her feel like she is involved.

CORYNN AND JER said...

PS. I know a lot of people who have their kids share a room, but I couldn't imagine doing that to Clay. Wes sleeps through the night now, but he is still a noisy sleeper! I would hate to mess up Clay's routines.

PPS. Cristin and Mark's main reason for buying a new house was so the kids would have their own space.

Carrie Johanson said...

I've been bad at checking blogs lately. Congrats on expecting #2! ... sorry I didn't say anything when I saw you yesterday! :-)

Belle said...

I don't know if I told you how excited I am you're expecting! Fun! So many people I know are now having a 2nd kid and it's fun to hear stories. . . A good friend of ours had had her newborn twins bring home a gift for their older little boy to help start things on a positive note-I thought that was nice cause then he felt like they acknowledged him and liked him.

Unknown said...

This shows you how often I check blogs. Congrats on #2! When are you due? Do you know if it's a boy or girl yet? I'm so excited and happy for you. Hope things are going well!